Here is a very good advice on creative career by Ze Frank:
Tools that I use (free, unless noted otherwise)
- Sublime Text 3 – text editor (paid but has infinite trial)
- Blender – 3D modelling and animation program
- Microsoft Expression Design 4 – vector graphics
- Unity3D – game engine
- Visual Studio Community– writing C# code for Unity
- Visual Studio Tools for Unity – plugin for debugging and launching VS from Unity
- MyPaint – digital painting, simple and awesome. Has a feature every software should have – pressing a key while hovering over menu item binds shortcut
- Krita – digital painting, more advanced, brilliant, updates
- Bandicam – screen recording software (paid)
- LICEcap – record screencapture to GIF
- Audacity – sound editing
- Bfxr, LabChirp and SunVox – sound design
- paletton.com – color scheme design
- Processing – for making simple cool visual things with code. Like those.
Also, bunch of resources and data can be found on Pixel Prospector.
Basically, just start now. Do something small, be brave, learn, get better. Good luck.